We lived in Dresden for 9 months.

Hi, I am Eric Muller. My wife and I lived in Dresden from September, 2008 to June, 2009. We lived in a villa in Kleinzschachwitz and worked at the MPI. If you are going to travel to Dresden, poke around my posts and you will discover fantastic places to visit.

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Louvre

Saturday we spent 6 hours at the Louvre. Fantastic. We could have spent more time. I did not bring my camera. The camera has a way of getting between me and what I am viewing, and I just wanted to experience. This idea was really brought home to me when we stood in front of the Mono Lisa. We are surrounded by a couple of hundred people, and everyone is taking pictures. The Mono Lisa is behind glass, on a large wall in the middle of a large room. Because of the glass no one was enforcing the no flash rule. It was a zoo. Still, we worked our way to the front, and stood and gasped. What follows are pictures I took from the web.

I must say that if I did not know it was Da Vinci's Mona and there was all the mystic about the painting, I would not have picked it out as my favorite painting at the Louvre. Even among the Da Vinci's I actually preferred the tenderness in his The Virgin and Child with Saint Anne.
From Notre Dame

And there were so many paintings to marvel. The monumental David's Coronation
From Notre Dame
,
Géricault's Raft of the Medusa
From Notre Dame

and Delacroix's Liberty Guiding the People
From Notre Dame

all struck me as majestic and I was in awe to see how intimately and boldly the artists of the day were reflecting on the politics of their times. I could go on and on, we were there for hours. We took two guided audio tours, and walked around by ourselves. We visited the underground display of the old walls of the fort that predated the Louvre. We saw all the must sees, Venus de Milo (did not move me),
From Notre Dame

the Winged Victory of Samothrace (WOW, and no picture on the web did it justice), and Mona. But we also loved to see the original Code of Hammurabi,
From Notre Dame
and the ancient simple art from the time before the Bronze Age.
From Notre Dame

If I had a favorite, it would be this sculpture 'Eros and Psyche' from Canova. I found a nice picture of it on the web.
From Notre Dame

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I could send you my pics of the Louvre artwork. I remembered to bring my camera and I think I have video also. Good review.