We lived in Dresden for 9 months.

Hi, I am Eric Muller. My wife and I lived in Dresden from September, 2008 to June, 2009. We lived in a villa in Kleinzschachwitz and worked at the MPI. If you are going to travel to Dresden, poke around my posts and you will discover fantastic places to visit.

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Männertag, Men's Day is today

The area has lost its collective mind. Everywhere are groups, some large (~20 guys), some small( ~5 guys) getting drunk on beer. They cart around their booze on decorated wagons, some small,
From 2009_05_21

some bigger,
From 2009_05_21

And some big enough to also haul those who can't walk anymore.
From 2009_05_21

Some have Hawaiian decorations, some have boom boxes, some have beer umbrellas, all are well stocked with beer. I have never seen anything like it.

I went out on a bike ride this morning, for the excersise, but also to check out the holiday. Oh, did I forget to mention, this is a real holiday. Everyone has the day off! So on my ride I see the large crowds singing. I see guys standing on the high stump of an old tree, seeing who can pee the furthest and taking pictures. People along the trail were laughing with them.

Oh did I forget to mention, I started my ride at 10 in the morning, and the "men" were already out in force, beers raised.

I suppose the most fun I had on my ride was when I slowly approached a very big group (~20). They were blocking the trail. They had one of the larger carts, nicely refrigerated, with an umbrella and music. Everyone who wanted to get by had to run the gauntlet. So there I went, through the guys, as they slapped my behind.

Very interesting people, these Germans.

So to all you men out there who, like me, had never heard of Männertag, Prost.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the posting. My husband is in Dresden visiting friends just for the explicit purpose of taking part in the Mannertag festivities. Alas, I am still state-side because of too much work. I love the photos of the wagons. It was great to have visuals to go with his text messages.

Kathy, Bellingham, Wa.