We lived in Dresden for 9 months.

Hi, I am Eric Muller. My wife and I lived in Dresden from September, 2008 to June, 2009. We lived in a villa in Kleinzschachwitz and worked at the MPI. If you are going to travel to Dresden, poke around my posts and you will discover fantastic places to visit.

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Weihnachtsmarkts in Dresden -2

The other Christmas market we enjoyed was located at the Stallhof. This area was built in 1591, and served as a place for Knightly tournaments. This market is on the theme of a medieval fair. The area is small, and one has to wait in line and buy a ticket to enter the grounds. There was a stage with medieval actors and just wonderful crafts.
I did not bring my camera, but here is a picture from the Dresden tourist site.
From Glasses

To compare the two markets, at the Striezelmarkt we bought beer glasses, like I mention in the last blog.
From Glasses

At the market at the Stallhof I bought a beautiful pair of glasses that were replicas of glasses from the 17th century.
From Glasses

The glass comes from Hana Glass, a glassworks in the Czech Republic that specializes in fabricating replicas of early glass, using authentic techniques.
So between the two markets, Dresden has everything. The grand scale people's market, and the boutique medieval market. One thing they share, and this really is the key, there is plenty of warm Glühwein. (Just too cold for beer.)

No comments: